Wednesday, December 26, 2012

End of Year 2012 List Meme Thing

It's about that time - time to fill out the End of the Year Meme for 2012! (Here's my list from 2010. And here's my list from 2011.)
1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before? 
Ran two 5Ks. Learned Reiki.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I really truly kept one of them (the first). I don't think I put yarn and needles together in any way, shape, or form in 2012. Didn't drive much at all. (I drove to YDFM pretty often for a while and then between the weather and being busy and a few other things...didn't. Edgewood didn't happen.) I actually did get rid of a TON of baby gear - sold it, gave it away, donated it. And I only read 30 books according to Shelfari - and I probably only read 20 books cover to cover.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? 
Yes! A few people did!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not anyone very close. My great-aunt who I didn't know very well but who was really amazing. 
5. What countries did you visit?
Aside from our trip to Virginia Beach, we didn't travel at all this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Better driving skillz. Reiki level II certification.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day the kid got her talker. Election day. And some of the sadder news stories of 2012...
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping my weight constant throughout the year. Adding a new (and big) freelance client to my roster. Continuing to work as an active freelance writer/editor. Achieving Reiki level I certification.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I didn't drive enough at all.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing huge. One minor medical drama situation that eventually resolved itself. Some periodontal work - short-term pain that seems to be leading to long-term benefits (with surgery sometime out in the future).
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I would say the new Tivo if it weren't currently causing problems (it's nifty). The talker. The Reiki class.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My kid!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The news says it all...between those who actively hurt people and those who then made absolutely terrible commentary about those events, it was a pretty tough year.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Boring basics.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The talker. The kid's progress. The new freelance gig. Reiki.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
This year feels like the year I listened to a lot of silly pop songs - particularly on running mixes. (Call Me Maybe and Gangnam Style, yes.) Also the entire Rockabye Baby: Radiohead album and lots of Ellis Paul songs, Cat Power, Robyn, a rediscovery of Interpol, Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor, Lamb, Ani, Tori.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? happier
- richer or poorer? richer-sort of (more income than last year, though it still all went to catching up on bills)
- thinner or fatter? maintainey.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Driving. Running.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinating. Couch sitting.
20. How did you spend the holidays?
We spent Hanukkah celebrating quietly and we spent Christmas with friends (including an epic Chinese food dinner).
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
No.
22. How many one-night stands?
Uh no.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Once Upon a Time, How I Met Your Mother, Dexter, The Big Bang Theory, Hart of Dixie, Grimm, and Revenge - sort of (loved Season 1, am losing interest rapidly in Season 2). 
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is a very strong word, but some relationships did shift in 2012.
25. What was the best book you read?
Of the books I read in 2012 that were published in 2012, I really liked:
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Heads in Beds by Jacob Tomsky
A Grown Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson
Crazy Enough by Storm Large
My favorite book that I read in 2012 was The Peculiar Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (but it was published in 2010).
26. What was your favorite film of this year?
I managed to get to the movies a few times but didn't love anything I saw. ETA: Oh! I had free Amazon Prime for a month so I streamed two documentaries I really liked: Jiro Dreams of Sushi and Between the Folds.
27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Skinny jeans and boots. Enjoying my clothing again.
28 Whom did you miss?
Far away friends.
29. Who was the best new person you met?
There are a few. I don't really like to name names.
30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Good things come to those who wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment