Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Project - Couch to 5K - January 17, 2012

This post serves, more than anything, as an accountability post.

Today I started the Couch to 5K program. I have two different 5Ks that I think I'd like to do (one or both would be fine) - both around May-ish. Also, though, I need to stay motivated with the weight loss and healthy living I've started. Otherwise, I'm afraid that once I complete the formal maintenance part of Weight Watchers, I'll feel like I've hit a finish line and...go back to eating ice cream every night or something. I'm using the Android app and I LOVE IT. It uses the GPS to track my speed and distance and it gives me a complete map when I'm done - that's really really really really cool. And I downloaded some timed podcasts that count for me when I'm close to switching the intervals.

And alongside this new exercise routine, I also ordered Jillian Michaels's Ripped in 30 DVD. This was mostly because I was buying something else (I'll explain) and needed to hit that magical $25 Amazon threshold for free shipping, so I threw it in. (By the way, if any PR person wants me to, like, TEST the Amazon Prime program and write a review or something, I'm your woman!!!!) I like the 30 Day Shred but I tried Ripped in 30 and liked it too so...well, free shipping, right? And as someone with no attention span who really needs new and exciting things to keep me motivated, I figured a new DVD that I could use would be a good idea. Right? Er...hopefully.

So my first day of running was not as bad as I expected, though it wasn't as awesome as I hoped either. (Apparently this is typical?) Alongside the usual stuff - I got tired, I couldn't complete all the running parts of C25K 1.1, my leg started to hurt - I had my ME stuff: I get terrible ear/jaw/headaches from the cold, my headphones kept falling out of my ears, I was carrying my phone, I hit a button and messed up my music. (OH MAN I AM WHINY.) So along with the DVD today, I bought a headband to keep my ears warm that also has built-in headphones. I bought an armband for my phone. (Eek, buying things, but the DVD and headphones were free thanks to Swagbucks <- referral link! and the armband was cheap.) And oh did I mention I also bought running clothes at Target? Well, they WERE on sale...and I didn't buy anything extraneous - in fact, I wore it all today.

So. Keep me accountable, blog readers. I want to do this. I want to stay in shape. And today I tried on a bathing suit that hadn't fit me in at least ten years (I don't know why I even still have it, but I found it when I was rearranging some drawers) and IT FIT. So it needs to fit when it actually counts - this summer. Goals. I need lots and lots of goals.

And hey, maybe this will all be a good stress reliever? The three-day weekend with my daughter was rough... How I envy the parents who can just go to a museum or spend an afternoon doing crafts or even just watch a movie with their children. (Heck, I envy people who can pick up a kid, put him or her down on his or her feet, and have him or her then continue to stand and walk off...) None of that works for my family, and when we have no specific plans, things get pretty tricky around here. Her communication is also improving - but far too slowly for any of our liking, so the tantrums are also increasing. Expected but also....no fun. So anything I can do to keep myself sane and back on the Good Mommy Track while she is at preschool is a good thing. I need to be able to be there for her - and for me.

Disclaimer: All links to Amazon are referral links. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment