Tuesday, August 24, 2010

As-vegan-as-you-wanna-be hot chocolate

It would've been vegan hot chocolate, but I got lazy...
This is a really delicious snack that I've been making myself in the evenings. It's easy and it's vegan - except when I get lazy and use non-vegan stuff in it...like tonight. But that just shows how versatile the recipe is! I got the original recipe/concept from a random message board post I found via Google, and I've been tweaking it (and still am tweaking it).

1 mug boiling water (I microwave the mug - lazy!)
1 handful or so of raw cashews
1 splash of vanilla extract
1 squeeze of agave nectar (or another sweetener)
- This is all vegan and all delicious. You could just stop here, whoosh it in your Vitamix (or other blender ;) ), and drink. Yum. I suspect you could also use any temperature water if you have a Vitamix and let the blender heat it up.

The non-vegan part was that tonight I used Trader Joe's Midnight Moo syrup and a spoonful of Ovaltine, both of which contain milk ingredients. I also could've used vegan chocolate chips (I've done that before but we're out of them) or vegan cocoa powder (I didn't want to open the container that I have, since I'm saving it for vegan cupcakes first - mmmm, vegan cupcakes). That all gets throw in and blended too.

The result is rich and creamy and warm and delicious. I love using cashews to make a cream or faux-cheese sauce now.

Time for America's Got Talent semi-finals! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment